Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wabi-Sabi 2.0?


It’s been a long time since I’ve blogged. I don’t know where my motivation went, but it’s come back now, albeit without inspiration. In grad school, I was told that more writing comes from motivation than from inspiration anyway, so, consider this a test.

It’s summertime, and Todd and I have been doing some camping. Camping means a lot of things, but it most often means a lot of time spent sitting in relative quiet. I have a new chair, too, an anti-gravity chair (!) which reclines without effort into a full, star-gazer friendly position. Since I’ve blogged last, I’ve also snared myself an Ipod Touch, which currently has about 13 days of music programmed into it, along with a few audio books, podcasts, videogames, and photos. A sunny afternoon, the anti-gravity chair, the Ipod Touch, well, that’s a recipe for bliss in my camping-book.

Last week, we camped at Turtle River State Park near Grand Forks, ND, and while Todd fly-fished for trout, I came up with a blog brainstorm. What better place to share this than on my blog!

In this new-fangled web-world we live in, “they’ve” invented something called Web 2.0, which from how I understand, means that the web, in its latest incarnation, is loved for its interactive capabilities. Now, one part of me is ashamed to be even talking about Web 2.0 – that’s the same part that inhibits me from embracing cell phones – and another part of me is fascinated by it. That’s the same part that convinced me I needed an Ipod Touch. I’m always ying-yanging myself, a walking, blogging wabi-sabi aesthetic.

If you read my blog and would like to play along (you can’t play along, really, if you don’t read the blog anyway), here’s what I propose for a Wabi-Sabi Blog, Web 2.0 experience (you should also probably wear 3D glasses):

Each time I blog, I will propose five possible topics for my next blog. I promise to blog at least three times a week (3x, if you’re into the whole brevity thing). If you would like me to write on one of the five proposed topics, you should note that in the comments. If I get a comment, my next blog will be on that topic. If I don’t get a comment, I’ll just write about anything, maybe even one of the topics. You can also propose your own topic for me to write on. Though I reserve the right to veto it, I promise not to be a George W. about it.

Here are this week’s topics (I made a really long list during the brainstorm):

Camping
Names
UW-Madison
Coffee
Indian Food

I hope you’ll vote. And thanks for playing. There are no losers with Wabi-Sabi.

4 comments:

T. Owens said...

Um, because I have a vested interest, my vote is for UW-Madison. If possible, the cool but unknown things to do on the weekends around here.

Jennifer said...

I like your idea. And those people we saw in Boston would be proud, I think.

I vote for Indian Food or UWM.... in that order. I'm not trying to screw up your vote counting.

Jennifer said...

I swear I commented here days ago. Wait, maybe I didn't, because I couldn't think of anything clever. Hm.

No, I think I did, and your comments are moderated. Plus, I'm pretty sure you're camping right now.

I won't vote again, in case my two votes would negate each other and render me useless. Uselesser, that is.

Crystal Jensen said...

By the way, people leave comments through Facebook, too, which is how I deduced that the winning vote was for names. Seeing here that there are two votes for UWM, maybe I'll use that one. I'd hate to lose your support, because your vote matters, too.